The MBBR process is one of the most advanced wastewater treatment technologies available in the world as it combines the benefits of both the suspended and the attached growth procedures.
The MBBR technology is extremely important when a minimum footprint and maximum performance is sought, specially for highly congested urban or remote rural areas. MBBR process is also vital when upgrading and/or improving the performance of existing wastewater treatment plants.
At MECATECH, we have developed a number of prefabricated and site-assembled treatment plants based on MBBR. We also offer this technology with tanks made of concrete.
The MBBR reactor contains thousands of polyethylene biofilm carriers operating in mixed motion within an aerated wastewater treatment process. Every biofilm carrier adds productivity via the provision of an active surface area sustaining bacteria within protected cells. It is this high-density population of bacteria that achieves high rate bio-degradation productivity within the system.
Microorganisms in a bio-film wastewater treatment process are more resilient to eliminate disturbances compared to other types of biological treatment techniques.
Advantages and Benefits of the MBBR system
A great number of important advantages come with our MBBR treatment plants:
- They are very compact requiring only a fraction of the space needed by alternative technologies.
- Their operation is very simple as the process is self-regulating. There is no need of monitoring the sludge content in the reactor.
- They are extremely stable and robust against variable loading and toxicity.
- They are easily expandable: the capacity of the plants can be upgraded by up to 60% without the need to change the reactors nor any additional construction.
- They offer excellent effluent quality: with the right design consideration, our plants can provide tertiary effluent quality without the need of filtration equipment.
- Their energy requirements are about the half of those of equivalent treatment plants based on other technologies. This together, with the low maintenance costs, reduce significantly the overall ownership cost.
- All types of industrial and domestic wastewater.
- Both organic and nitrogen removal.
- New plant or system upgrade.
- Limited foot print.